Yeliz is a Ph.D. candidate and graduate teaching associate in the department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures. Her dissertation research focuses on international intellectual networks in Istanbul at the turn of the twentieth century. She has received a B.A. in Turkish Language and Literature, a B.A. in History, and an M.A. in History from Boğaziçi University, Istanbul.
Her research interests include late Ottoman and early republican Turkish History, Ottoman historiography, history of Ottoman modernization, history of mass performances in the Ottoman realm, Ottoman literature, nationalism(s) in the Middle East, and history and folklore of resistance.
Currently, Yeliz is a doctoral fellow at Orient-Institut Istanbul as she does archival research in various manuscript libraries and archives in Turkey for her dissertation project.
- Turkish 1103: Intermediate Turkish I (Fall 2013, Fall 2014)
- Turkish 2101: Intermediate Turkish II (Spring 2014, Spring 2015)
- Turkish 2102: Intermediate Turkish III (Fall 2015)
- Turkish 3101: Advance Turkish Syntax (Spring 2016)
Turkish, Ottoman, Persian
Select Conference Presentations
- “Ottoman Historians at Work: Historiographical Debates in Academic Journals of the Late Ottoman Period,” Middle East Studies Association Annual Meeting 2016, Boston, MA, November 2016.
- “State Power as Performance: Royal Wedding Festivities and the Ottoman Spectacular State During the Period of Mahmud II,” 9th Annual IU/OSU Joint Student Conference in Folklore and Ethnomusicology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, April 2016.
- “Long Ways, Long Lies: Evliya Celebi as Traveler and Trickster,” American Folklore Society Annual Meeting 2015, Long Beach, CA, October 2015.
- “A Story of Performing the Past: Representations of the Fall of Constantinople in Today’s Turkey,” 8th Annual IU/OSU Joint Student Conference in Folklore and Ethnomusicology, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, April 2015.
Select Grants and Fellowships
- Doctoral Fellow, Max Weber Foundation Orient-Institut Istanbul, 2016-2017.
- The Ohio State University, the Office of International Affairs, Academic Enrichment Grant, 2016-2017.
- The Ohio State University Graduate School, Matching Tuition and Fee Award, 2016-2017.